23 June 2022

I made a painting inspired by the novel 'Memloots - The Exposition'


Title: Misericordia
Artist: Francesco Di Giuseppe
Year: AD 2022
Medium: Oil on linen
Subject: An invitation to the Stream of Remembrance
Dimensions: 39,37″ x 29,52″ (100 x 75 cm)

Misericordia is a painting that depicts a scene from the novel 'Memloots - The Exposition'. It is painted in oil on a 39,37″ x 29,52 (100 x 75 cm) linen canvas.

I have neither varnished nor framed this work, but I intend to do so once the paint is cured.

Since I had almost no experience in the art of painting, I had to go through several drafts to achieve the final result, which is pretty much the same method I had to use to write the novel.

The painting isn't signed, at least just yet. What you see in the lower right corner is a watermark that I added in the hope that it will increase the novel's visibility.

I posted a few pictures below of the work in progress, including a pencil sketch and some clay miniatures I had made to cope with my lack of a reference photo.


Pencil sketch of Misericordia


Misericordia - Work in progress 1


Misericordia - Work in progress 2


Misericordia - Work in progress 3


Misericordia - Work in progress 4


Misericordia - Work in progress 5


That's me beside the painting



Clay miniature of amphora


Clay miniature of fountain tier

To figure out how to paint the ripples in the fountain basin, I made a black cardboard pool (my sink isn't large enough) and studied the effects of water under different types of lighting. 

Study pictures of ripples

The only elements in the composition that I could take pretty reliable reference pictures of without too much trouble were the moonstone, which I own as a pendant, and the five-metre (5,4 yards) turban, which I ordered from Turkey when the painting was already well under way.

Moonstone and Turban


No comments:

Post a Comment